History of Christ Church, Lucketts
In 1773, the Vestry of Shelburne Parish (William Smith, Stephen Donaldson, Thomas Lewis, Thomson Mason, James Hamilton, Francis Peyton, Craven Peyton, Josiah Clapham, Leven Powell, John Lewis, Thomas Owsley and Thomas Shores) paid Joshua Gore ten pounds for a parcel of land of one quarter of an acre “beginning at a small Spanish Oak bush on the north side of the Great Road, nearly opposite the dwelling house of Thomas Gore and running thence West seven poles, then South six poles, thence East seven poles, thence North six poles to the beginning.”
The congregation built the present building on this property in 1870 and shortly thereafter the rectory was built next door. The church is one of the few remaining “board and batten” wooden structures in the area.
The church was in continuous use for 86 years — from 1870 until 1956 when its rector, Howard Cady, retired. From 1956 until 1979 the congregation was unable to hold services because of the building’s dilapidated condition and a lack of clergy presence. However, the building was never deconsecrated and it was cared for during this period by long-time members and trustees John Whitmore, Matthew Kohlhoss and Robert Flynn. It was termed, “a vacant cure.” Kohlhoss died in 1982 and Whitmore in July, 1988. Whitmore’s father, M.H. Whitmore, was a member of the vestry that first built the church.
Christ Church, Lucketts was restored in 1986 and resumed regular services in 1988 as a mission of St. James’ Episcopal Church in Leesburg. The restoration and re-opening of Christ Church was the result of ten years of dedicated efforts by many people and organizations, including long-time members of the church. One such effort was the Loudoun Restoration and Preservation Society’s Save Our Landmarks program, which brought in $8,800. Two prominent women of Loudoun County deserve special recognition: Cora Kohlhoss and Jean Callaham, who made it their mission that this church should hold services. They organized Strawberry Festivals and other events to raise money to accomplish their mission.
The first service for the newly restored 120-year-old church was a special celebratory affair held on Sunday, November 6, 1988 at 3 p.m. The Rt. Rev. Philip A. Smith, retired bishop of New Hampshire, resided over the event, which was preceded by a social hour. The community was invited to attend the historic gathering. The following Sunday, November 13, 1988, services were held at 11:30 a.m. and conducted by the Rev. Louis J. Mattia, the assistant at St. James’, who was named the first Vicar.
Friends and family have worshiped at Christ Church continuously since its reopening.
Vicars since 1998